Monday, April 9, 2012

Nice (Almost) Clean Holds

So the other day I took down a number of my larger holds in my bouldering room, it was a nice day and it seemed to be a perfect day to clean the holds and let them sit in the sun to dry.  In doing this I realized quickly which ones were not going to clean well and which ones were very quick and not a problem to deal with.  So I went through and did what I considered a thorough water and toothbrush cleaning.  The hold companies that I cleaned today were:  Teknik, Atomik, Pusher, Project, Vision, So iLL, Etch, Morganic, Grip It, and Asana.

Here is how they placed from quickest and easiest clean to most time consumed.

1.  Vision
2.  So iLL
4.  Grip It
5.  Atomik
6.  Etch
7.  Morganic
9.  Teknik
10.  Asana

So I will say that it was pretty upsetting that it was so hard to clean up both my Teknik Big Fat Slopers as well as my Boss and Baby Boss from Pusher.  I sprayed, scrubbed and repeated multiple times on my Teknik slopers and it wasn't shoe rubber that had been buried into the hold, it was skin from my wrists while reaching around them, no matter how hard I tried I just could not scrub it out.  As for the Pusher holds I had to scrub them both really good once let them dry out and then scrub them again.  The Asana holds are the Joe's Jugs and Crimps set and they were pretty much what I expected them to be with cleaning the holds feel like they are made from a very inferior material (not sure what exactly) and I knew from the beginning that they were going to be the worst ones to clean, I probably won't get anymore holds from Asana I have just overall been fairly disappointed with these holds.

My Vision holds, I know it seems like I really praise Vision's holds, but that really is only because they are so good.  The urethane that they are made from is incredible.  I really didn't expect them to clean up as quickly and well as they did, I didn't even need to brush them.  They take chalk off of my hands like no other hold I have climbed on, I should've taken before pictures of the holds because they were white!  All I did was spray them with the hose and now they literally look like the day that they arrived to me.  So iLL also uses some awesome urethane and it cleaned up really well both Vision and So iLL use a softer urethane as opposed to the very hard plastic feeling urethane that most  holds are made from.

Overall I still love all of my holds the same as I did before now I just know that some of them will require more work with cleaning than others.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post. Very Useful Information, your blog is sharing unique information. The information you have shared about the Buy Climbing Holds is pretty amazing and it also shares some valuable stuff.
    Buy Climbing Holds

    ReplyDelete